Okay this might be a corny post but I'm really proud of myself. Two days ago my dryer stopped working. After two days of taking my laundry to my sisters house to dry, it was time to buy a new dryer. I checked online for the lowest prices (329.00) and the local appliance store (489.00). I also looked into buying a used dryer (150.00) that was a little more reasonable. But, that dryer wasn't ready to be sold at retail yet. The tech asked me what was wrong and I told him the dryer turns on but does not spin. He said that it was probably the belt and they could easily repair it for 65.00 plus parts. That was better than 150.00. Then I got to thinking, what if they come to fix it and they can't and I would be out 65.oo plus, still have to buy a new/used dryer. So before they came I decided to google " how to replace a dryer belt". There were a ton of articles on how to do it step by step. There was even a youtube video on how to do it. This didn't look to hard, so I called them back and said I was going to fix it myself. The tech kind of laughed and said don't forget to unplug it first. "I Already did it" I said. He seemed a little impressed and I felt proud. The next delay in fixing my dryer was getting the correct belt. Of course they didn't have the right part in stock and wouldn't until Tuesday. I was not about to spend all weekend drying clothes at Rita's house so I called around everywhere I knew. My bestfriend Amy even checked some local places for me in Snowflake. She is so awesome. Okay I know this is so boring, but my dad being the greatest parts picker upper in the world located one for me in Tempe. Dayson stopped to get it on his way home. I was hoping to have it done before he got home but that wasn't going to happen. So I waited another 4 hours and finally I had the belt. I told Dayson I wanted to do it myself and being the wonderful husband he is, he let me. Until it came time to unscrew the last two screws. They weren't going to budge and my huge muscles couldn't do it. So, hunky husband to the rescue. (He has been working out for the last 6 weeks and is really hot.) Anyway, he unscrewed and I put the belt on, with his muscle help of course and "Ta Da" it was fixed. I showed him how to put the dryer back together and I was good to go. I finally was able to dry my clothes at 9:30 pm. Oh and by the way, MacKenzie woke up sick and it was coming out both ends all morning. So my laundry was piling up with stinky clothes and blankets. I think that is why I was so determined to get it fixed. I also didn't want to spend my valentine money on a new dryer. I felt like a "supermom".
This is what the dryer looked like when I took it apart. I cleaned out gobbs and gobbs of lint.
8 comments:
So kim you are so awsome! Love the story! I will be calling you when I need my dryer fixed! Thanks so much for sharring Dayson with us last night! I felt so sad for him, he was with all are kids when he could have been home with you and his own kids! You are doing awsome! only 12 weeks left right!
WOHOOO you go girl!! You are amazing! A wo-man after my own heart!! Nothing like a woman with a power tool in hand watch out! :) You done good, I'm proud to say we're related.
that is...AWEsome!!! I pretty much think I can do anything with googles help! But you...you really are super wo-men.
That's awesome! You are a brave woman! I'd be afraid to mess something else up worse. Your family is just TOO cute!
Go Kim! You are awesome!
You are so funny! Way to be a do-it-herselfer!
That is funny.. we just had a similar situation.. I some how dropped a toothbrush down into the lint filter and it of course chewed up the blade.. so Steven and I took it apart.. it looked just like yours... who would have thought that a dryer was so simple? It makes sense if you think about it. We were so proud.. it took a $12 part to replace the blade(fan) and we put it back together and wala... good as new! You hang in there... I am certain that Dayson misses you just as much if not more when he is away. Your family is being blessed!
You are amazing! It was so fun to see you and your kids this week! My washer broke yesterday! I should call Kim the fix it chick!
Post a Comment